Fort Kluze

Fort Kluze

Portfolio, ProgramDay2
  Fort Kluže The fort Kluže is a fort near Bovec in the Primorska region in northwestern Slovenia. It was built in 1472 as a fortress between Bovec on the road to Cave del Predil and Carinthia. It probably served as a defense of Friuli against the Turks. In the course of the 16th century, Bovec came under Austrian authority as a result of the wars between Venice and the Habsburgers. It became an autonomous county, but for the time being preserved the church dependence of Ciudad and Aquilea. By the end of the 18th century, the entire administration was Austrian, and that would remain until 1918. In 1796-1797, the army of Napoleon pulled through the valley; There was fought around the fortress. In 1903 a part of Bovec was…
Read More
Kolovrat Mountain

Kolovrat Mountain

Outdoor Museums, Portfolio, ProgramDay6
  Kolovrat Kolovrat is about 3.5 km long mountain ridge with the elevations of about ~ 1100 m and is spanning in direction east-west above the right bank of Soča River. On the ridge of Kolovrat, east from the Livške Ravne settlement is a borderline between Italy and Slovenia. From the ridge are panoramic vistas to Julian Alps on the north and Veneto area all the way to the Adriatic Sea. In a time of the First World War the Italian Army built a network of fortified trenches, caverns, and artillery positions named »linea d' armata«. Italian army was monitoring the mountain battlefields  on the left bank of Soča River between towns Tolmin and Kobarid. The east most area of Kolovrat between summits of Tinški vrh (1,136 m) and Na Gradu…
Read More
Ravelnik Outdoor Museum

Ravelnik Outdoor Museum

Outdoor Museums, Portfolio, ProgramDay2
  Ravelnik Austro-Hungarian first line of defence in the Bovec area. After the Italian occupation of Bovec in August 1915, the Austro-Hungarian Army further reinforced its first line of defence at the eastern rim of the Bovec basin, especially across two hills: Ravelnik (519 m) and Stržišče (486 m). The two elevations form a natural blockade which was changed by the Austro-Hungarian soldiers by means of fortified positions, caves and trenches to the pillar of their defence. An outdoor museum is arranged on the slope of Mt. Ravelnik in the area of the onetime Austro-Hungarian first line of defence. A circular path connects the cleansed and restored trenches and connection tunnels, pillboxes, caves, machine-gun emplacements and reconstructed cabins. There are a lot of remains in this relatively small area.
Read More