Čelo Outdoor Museum

Čelo Outdoor Museum

Outdoor Museums, Portfolio, ProgramDay2
  Outdoor museum Čelo Austro-Hungarian gun positions The outdoor museum Čelo represents gun fortification which was built by the Austro-Hungarian Army on the slope of Mt. Svinjak with an excellent view in the spring of 1915, just before the Italian–Austro-Hungarian encounter. The fortification was part of the Bovec blockade system (Sperre Flitsch) that played an important role in the defence of the valley part of the front line in the Bovec area. The main part of the fortification consists of 200-metre long trench with masoned walls which connects two gun positions with a kitchen, an observation post, two dormitories for 40 men, and a shelter for 20 soldiers. The trench had 150 crenels for riflemen. A beautiful view is offered on Čelo over the Bovec basin, Mt. Rombon and the…
Read More
Fort Kluze

Fort Kluze

Portfolio, ProgramDay2
  Fort Kluže The fort Kluže is a fort near Bovec in the Primorska region in northwestern Slovenia. It was built in 1472 as a fortress between Bovec on the road to Cave del Predil and Carinthia. It probably served as a defense of Friuli against the Turks. In the course of the 16th century, Bovec came under Austrian authority as a result of the wars between Venice and the Habsburgers. It became an autonomous county, but for the time being preserved the church dependence of Ciudad and Aquilea. By the end of the 18th century, the entire administration was Austrian, and that would remain until 1918. In 1796-1797, the army of Napoleon pulled through the valley; There was fought around the fortress. In 1903 a part of Bovec was…
Read More
Ravelnik Outdoor Museum

Ravelnik Outdoor Museum

Outdoor Museums, Portfolio, ProgramDay2
  Ravelnik Austro-Hungarian first line of defence in the Bovec area. After the Italian occupation of Bovec in August 1915, the Austro-Hungarian Army further reinforced its first line of defence at the eastern rim of the Bovec basin, especially across two hills: Ravelnik (519 m) and Stržišče (486 m). The two elevations form a natural blockade which was changed by the Austro-Hungarian soldiers by means of fortified positions, caves and trenches to the pillar of their defence. An outdoor museum is arranged on the slope of Mt. Ravelnik in the area of the onetime Austro-Hungarian first line of defence. A circular path connects the cleansed and restored trenches and connection tunnels, pillboxes, caves, machine-gun emplacements and reconstructed cabins. There are a lot of remains in this relatively small area.
Read More