Ossuary of Oslavia

Ossuary of Oslavia

BrestovecOslavia, Memorials, Portfolio
  Ossuary of Oslavia The Ossuary of Oslavia was built on Height 153 of Mt. Calvario in 1938, designed by Roman architect Ghino Venturi. The monument was created by the fascist regime to accommodate the remains of the soldiers who fell in different battles fought around Gorizia and Tolmin (now part of Slovenia) during the Great War. The Ossuary lies on a triangular area and includes four towers, one for each vertex of the complex plus a central tower. Inside each tower are the burial niches of the fallen soldiers, all along the walls, for a total of around 20 thousand names, including 138 Austro-Hungarian soldiers. The remaining 37 thousand unknown soldiers (including 539 foreigners) are instead buried inside three large ossuaries in the middle of the lateral towers. All…
Read More
Kostnica s Cerkvijo Sv. Antona / Sacrario dei Caduti di Caporetto

Kostnica s Cerkvijo Sv. Antona / Sacrario dei Caduti di Caporetto

Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay4
  Cerkev Svetega Antona Padovanskega / Sacramento de Caduti di Caporetto The military memorial Caporetto or Saint Anthony's sanctuary is an Italian military memorial located in Kobarid, Slovenia; It houses the remains of Italian 7014 killed during the First World War. Built by the Italian state, which belonged to that region, the sanctuary was completed in September 1938 and was opened by the head of the government of time, Benito Mussolini. It was built on the hill Gradic designed by the sculptor Giannino Castiglioni and the architect Giovanni Greppi north of the city of Kobarid, taking the remains of Italian soldiers by the military cemeteries in the area, including those of Bovec. Under the 7014, known as 1748, they were collected in six graves on either side of the middle…
Read More
Sveta Gora / Holy Mountain

Sveta Gora / Holy Mountain

Overview, Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay5
  Sveta Gora Sveta Gora ; Italian: Monte Santo di Gorizia) is a settlement in western Slovenia in the Municipality of Nova Gorica. It encompasses Holy Mount (Slovene: Sveta gora), above the Soča Valley and southwest of the Banjšice Plateau. History In May 1917 Sveta Gora was the scene of heavy fighting between Austrian and Italian forces. Sveta Gora became an independent settlement in 2006, when its territory was administratively separated from the territory of Solkan and Grgar.
Read More
Gorjansko WW1 Cemetery

Gorjansko WW1 Cemetery

Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay3
  Gorjansko WW1 Cemetery The Austro-Hungarian cemetery from World War I is situated next to the village cemetery in Gorjansko by the regional road which leads to Klanec and Brestovica. At the military cemetery are buried soldiers of Austro-Hungarian army of various nationalities, who fell in the years 1915-1917 on the Isonzo front. This is the largest cemetery of the Austro-Hungarian army for soldiers lost in the Isonzo Front. As far as 10,000 soldiers of different nationalities are buried here. The cemetery has kept its original design, which blends in with the Karst landscape. IBT Program research Februari 2013 [ngg_images source="galleries" container_ids="5" display_type="photocrati-nextgen_basic_thumbnails" override_thumbnail_settings="0" thumbnail_width="240" thumbnail_height="160" thumbnail_crop="1" images_per_page="20" number_of_columns="0" ajax_pagination="0" show_all_in_lightbox="0" use_imagebrowser_effect="0" show_slideshow_link="0" slideshow_link_text="[Show slideshow]" template="/home/isonzo/www/html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/ngglegacy/view/gallery.php" order_by="sortorder" order_direction="ASC" returns="included" maximum_entity_count="500"]  
Read More
Cerje Memorial Monument

Cerje Memorial Monument

Overview, Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay7
  Cerje Monument to the defenders of the Slovenian standing on a top Cerje on the western edge of the karst plateau, which opens a wide view of the northern Adriatic Sea, Friuli, Dolomite, Julian Alps, Vipavsko Valley. The initiative for setting up this monumental memorial for all those who have fought in this area and fell, resulting in a patriotic organization TIGR. Location and content design memorials are carefully thought out. Monument to sedemetažni is designed as a tower or fort that connects the past with the future with its content. In seven floors, the visitor can walk through different periods in Slovenian history, landmark times - from prehistory to periods of world wars, the war for independence from Slovenia to the last floor with a panoramic platform, which…
Read More
Javorca, Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit

Javorca, Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit

Overview, Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay6
  Javorca, Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit High above the stream of the Tolminka rises a wooden shrine – the Memorial Church in Javorca. The Memorial Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca is dedicated to fallen Austro-Hungarian defenders of the Tolmin battlefield on the Soča (Isonzo) Front (1915–1917). As the finest monument to the First World War in the territory of Slovenia, in 2007 the church was classed as a historical monument bearing the European Cultural Heritage sign. It is also one of the stations along the historical Path of Peace trail, which links together monuments and remains from the First World War in the upper Soča region. Over the entrance door the inscription reads: This monument was built during the war by members of the 3rd Mountain…
Read More
Memorial of Redipuglia

Memorial of Redipuglia

Overview, Memorials, Portfolio, ProgramDay1
  Memorial of Redipuglia Fogliano Redipuglia was part of the Isonzofront for a long time during the First World War on the border of Italian and Austria-Hungarian armies. Several battles took place on the Isonzo River, where many tens of thousands of dead were to regret. Sacrario di Redipuglia The Memorial of Redipuglia is Italy's largest and most majestic memorial dedicated to the soldiers who fell in the Great War. Built at the time of Benito Mussolini, on the slopes of Mt. Sei Busi and designed by architect Giovanni Greppi and sculptor Giannino Castiglioni, it was opened on 18th September 1938 after ten years of construction. This massive monument, also known as Memorial "of the Hundred Thousands", accommodates the remains of 100.187 soldiers who fell in battle in the surrounding…
Read More