Tolmin (German: Tolmein, Italian: Tolmino) is a municipality in Slovenia and counted 12,198 inhabitants during the census in 2002, divided into 72 living quarters. Local government is based on 23 local councils. Tolmin is in the valley of the Soča.
In Tolmin there are still remains of prehistoric occupation. Current building focuses on a terrace above the co-flow of Soča and Tolminka. This building is first mentioned in 1065. The patriarchs of Aquilea (Slovenian: Oglej) founded a reinforcement in 1188 (four-legged design with four hoarsens), followed in 1313 by a larger patriarchal residence. Tolmin was hit by heavy earthquakes in 1348 and 1511 which severely damaged the castle dating from 1188. In the 17th century it was abandoned and expired.
In 1713, it was a great uprising against the lord of Tolmin, Count Anton Coronini. This fact is commemorated annually and is heraldically processed in the municipal weapon. Tolmin obtained market rights in 1821, city rights in 1952.
During the First World War, Tolmin was heavily destroyed (see: Isonzofront) and after Italy occupied this war (until 1943). After the Second World War, Tolmin became part B of what later became the Free Zone Trieste (1947-1954). Zone B then went to Yugoslavia in 1954 (and the western zone A to Italy).
In 1976, 1998 and 2004, Tolmin was hit by earthquakes.
The church of H. Ulrich dates back to the 12th century, the parish church of Mary Ascension was completed between 1682 and 1685. In Tolmin there is a 400 year old Tulip tree (liriodendron tulipifera).
To the north of Tolmin at Čadrg are the Tolmink laws.